Reclaim UGLY’s goal is to create safe, joyful, and healing spaces for people who have been uglified and marginalized outside of their communities; to educate the world about what uglification is and how it functions as a form, tool, and ideology of cross-issue oppression, bullying, exclusion, and self-harm; and to bring together groups and individuals who want to collaboratively work to replace uglification with institutional and cultural practices of love, inclusivity, healing, and transformative imagination. We believe that more people, including you, deserve to live joyful lives and we want to get rid of the oppressive beliefs and attitudes that interfere with our access to peace.
We host annual, themed conferences, retreats, workshops, sermons, panels, and other events that bring people together to dig deeper into the histories, contemporary systemic practices, socio-cultural behaviors, and internalized impacts of uglification. Through these events, we hope to:
- Heal ourselves and each other from what oppression and violence has done,
- Build Beloved Communities that are lead by those of us who have experienced the most intersectional forms of marginalization and have done the most intentional work around healing and re-imagining,
- Generate increased hope and enthusiasm about a world free from patriarchy, white supremacy, coercive capitalism and classism, fatphobia, ableism, trans- and queerphobia, xenophobia, lookism, and more,
- Inspire compassionate self-reflection, forgiveness, community care, and imagination through performance and storytelling, uplifting literature, liberation rituals, and vulnerable+playful connection;
- Initiate supportive spaces for groups to collaborate across issues and identity to promote practices and attitudes that eradicate uglification within the community, political, familial, academic, creative and professional affiliations, as well as on a local and global level; and
- Invite people to creatively re-imagine a more inclusive, compassionate world where all human bodies and lives (including their own) are recognized as inherently valuable and worthy of existence, welcome, love, rest, pleasure, safety and protection.
Between conferences and events, Reclaim UGLY publishes multimedia narratives (articles, books, and short video clips) that center LGBTQ+, BIMPOC, Fat, Disabled, Poor, Activists, and other people who have embraced, reclaimed, and fallen passionately in love with the parts of themselves that have been systemically and intersectionally uglified. We amplify voices that preach and practice cross-identity and embodied liberation, love, and inclusivity. And we create curriculum and other educational and inspirational resources for people who wish to learn more about what it means to implement UGLY and interrupt uglification in their lives, communities, families, professions and organizations.